Silver lining

I was only half-awake as I went downstairs in the middle of the night to get a glass of water, so I didn’t switch the light on. That was a mistake.

On the penultimate step I missed my footing, fell the rest of the way down and landed heavily on my heel.

Then I was wide awake. The pain was exquisite.

The next morning my heel was still painful, so much so that I began to wonder if I’d broken a bone. Do we have bones in the heel that can be broken? I’d no idea but, whether we do or not, I decided to go to hospital.

After an interminable wait ... I was ‘walking wounded’ ... a doctor x-rayed my foot and told me nothing was broken. It was simply a bad bruise. But, so that I could rest it, he ‘prescribed’ me crutches for a week.

I hobbled about for the next few days, drawing sympathetic looks and trying to avoid probing questions about the extent of my injuries. By the end of the week it was time to take the crutches back to the hospital but, before I did so I thought it could be useful to take advantage of the opportunity.

The next morning was forecast to be clear so I packed the crutches, my camera and a tripod into the car and drove high up into the mountains to find a suitable ridge. There I fixed my camera on the tripod, facing the rising sun, activated the self-timer and scrambled up on to the ridge with the crutches ...

With well over 400 sales now, it’s turned out to be one of my best-selling photographs.

No comments: