Sometimes you get lucky

The prizewinning image in the previous blogs was one I worked at.

In fact, I have identified other places along this autoroute where it may be possible to photograph interesting traffic trails in different patterns. When the weather conditions are right I'm going to go back to them.

In landscape photography you have to work at it. Consider yourself lucky if you find yourself standing in front of a stunning view with the light ... and the clouds ... and the season ... and everything else, just right.

A few years ago, on a bitterly cold and icy winter's day, I was with family, walking around Cradle Mountain lake, a Tasmanian beauty spot. We passed a photographer with his camera set up on a tripod.

A couple of hours later, on our way back, we passed the same photographer, in the same spot. He hadn't moved a millimetre.

"Hasn't he taken a photograph yet?" someone asked in astonishment. "What's he playing at? He must be frozen stiff."

It turned out the man was a professional, with a large-format camera, who was photographing for postcards and calendars. He explained to us that he was waiting for the light, and the clouds, and the ripples on the water to be just right.

"Geez!" my brother-in-law said. "I prefer my office."

An even longer time ago, before digital cameras ... or personal computers ... were even dreamed about, I was walking around Piraeus harbour. I looked over the wall and ...


I turned the camera a fraction to get the diagonal composition. But that was all.

That 'snap' shot has won me two prizes. Overall first in a national competition, and highly commended in an international one.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

But don't count on it.

(Technical note: This was taken with a film camera, on 35mm colour slide film, and has been scanned to digital)

No comments: